WE NEED FEEDBACK!

Discuss upcoming jet events; update us on jet events or let us know how it went for you

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

jamie cuff
Site Admin

WE NEED FEEDBACK!

Postby jamie cuff » Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 am

Once again the RNMAA/Top gun event was again a very successful weekend. Top gun was originally a very different type of event in the beginning when it started in 1991 with ducted fans. In the turbine era we are now in, it is not practical or safe for a similar event to be held so it has been adapted with the emphasis away from serious competition to a more relaxed and fun format. Top gun will no doubt be tweaked and develop as the years pass but we are keen to preserve the balance of competition and flying we now have.
Comments made to myself and others over the weekend has prompted me to ask, does the UK jet modelling community want a more comprehensive competition for jet models both sport and scale with schedules, weight limits, ARTF vs kit built/scratch built and the associated regulations and admin?
If so then please comment here, this sort of event can be arranged be it in or out of the JMA. What we need to know is, do you want it and will you support such an event? And how would you like to see it run? Don't be shy, speak up!

Andy Rann

Re: WE NEED FEEDBACK!

Postby Andy Rann » Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Jamie, having moved into the jet world a couple of years ago and having attended JMA and Classic Jet events over the past year I personally would welcome the opportunity of a jet focused competition at varying levels of discipline. Despite flying for over 3 decades with more traditional aeroplanes I find myself on the lower end of a steep learning curve in the totally addictive jet world; the support and welcome of the JMA has been exceptional by the way and all the enthusiasm for the hobby has been reinvigorated; The reason I would welcome a friendly competition would be to have a goal to aim for; knowing a competition was coming up would certainly help focus the mind. I found this a really helpful and enjoyable way of 'learning' in other RC Model disciplines; aiming for the 'A' certificate, 'B' certificate, first aerobatic competition etc. The Top Gun event is quite an amazing spectacle to be around but the quality of models flown by some of the best pilots in the business is a phemominal step for the likes of myself to aim and get to. Competing in different levels of 'class' such as you have suggested with perhaps the intermediate to advanced would, in my view, help in focusing on the next 'rung' of the ladder. Clear aspects of the flight being watched for will allow for a really focused practice. This would need to have in mind your comment about this being kept to the friendly level you describe but set up to be supportive of progressing skills and added continual awareness of flying safely. Anyway, as a starter for ten I would welcome knowing that in X weeks/months I would be entering a 'friendly' and 'supportive' competition with clear activities to focus and practice towards.

jamie cuff
Site Admin

Re: WE NEED FEEDBACK!

Postby jamie cuff » Wed May 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Andy,

Thank you for your feedback, i have also asked these questions on Facebook and RCU as well as receiving several messages about this subject. It is encouraging to hear the comments as after all the organisation belongs to the members and if you do not speak up we cannot do anything about it. So far it does look as though there is little interest in a more formal type of jet specific competition. One comment made to me was that this years Jet World Masters which is being held in Germany, once again has only one UK entrant as there seems to be no interest in competition in this country. I do think that in the case of the JWM, many are put off by the time involved, cost and some of the rules/regulations which have changed in recent years.

The majority of flyers just want to turn up, fly and have a laugh! there is a huge social side to our meetings and for many (myself included) this is as important, if not more so than the flying. Some fear that what may start out as a semi formal comp will be inevitably dragged down to petty squabbles over points/scoring and who built/did not build which model. If an event like this was to happen then the regs would have to clear from the start.

Return to “Jet Only Events”