Silver soldering.

Starting a new build or conversion? Post your information, findings and pictures here.

Moderators: jamie cuff, Dick Spreadbury

David Gladwin

Silver soldering.

Postby David Gladwin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am

Some advice please.

For silver soldering I had a superb device in Australia, just right for small silver soldering using a propane and oxygen mix.

I can’t get the oxygen bottles in U.K so could I ask what you guys use in the U.K. for silver soldering jobs.

Propane torches just don’t seem to work for me, and the silver soldering Iwant to do is on critical parts so I want to use plenty of heat.

Any help would be appreciated.

David.

Ian Bailey

Re: Silver soldering.

Postby Ian Bailey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi David, I've just seen this query but I can advise on the method I employ when silver soldering. It's very Heath Robinsonish but works very effectively, I apply a background heat from a gas torch used by roofing workers from a butane botttle and then apply a local high heat from a propane/butane torch as used by plumbers. I've made up many silencers and exhaust manifolds from this method and also very fine work as well. Get some old house bricks as a working platform and also to shield the area and off you go from there. The background heat source brings up the worked piece to a good heat and then the localised source will get the piece up to cherry red very quickly. Hope this helps.
I am going outside, I may be some time.

David Gladwin

Postby David Gladwin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Thank you for that, I will give it a try.

Cain Barnish

Postby Cain Barnish » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 am

Hi David,

A common mistake is getting things too hot, I agree the cheapest propane/butane plumbing gear is all you need (map gas is way too hot, and the firebricks help. Any more than dull cherry red is too hot. The flux and solder is very important and I source mine from Toni-Clark in Germany, their catalogue used to have a page on detailed advice (the English version currently being updated) and they have all sorts of very thin walled tubing /profiles/bends for airframes and exhausts. Send a request to them and I’m sure they will send you the English version. I believe Toni was from England but sadly died, the business still thrives and they are very good. If you are struggling get hold of their flux paste and solder - then it all goes very easy!

Page from the German catalogue version attached
Attachments
83A379C6-CD05-439D-9C1F-419063095D81.jpeg
83A379C6-CD05-439D-9C1F-419063095D81.jpeg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Return to “Jet Build Threads”