Fei-Bao Mirage 2000

Starting a new build or conversion? Post your information, findings and pictures here.

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Fei-Bao Mirage 2000

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Sun May 24, 2009 8:32 am

The Mirage 2000 two-seater has been a favourite of mine for a long time - not only does it look good, it has a sound and performance to match. The displays performed by Mirages at the Air Tattoo over the years have been some of the best I've seen - the noise and power produced by its bright orange afterburing engine, together with its exceptional manouverability is outstanding. It was the first fast jet I saw do an aggressive outside turn...many others do it now but compared to the 2000, they're tame!

Anyway, I waited a long time for the never to be seen Skymaster version, then considered the Jet Legend kit (which I believe is a good quality product...but it's a single seater and designed for a 120...I needed something to put my Pegasus HP in) and finally decided on Fei-Bao's kit.

I must say right at the outset that I have received exemplary service from Fei-Bao, right from the first emails enquiring about the kit, through the purchase, updates on delivery forecast, and also since getting the kit - all emails sent have been replied to promptly and helpfully. I must thank Alex Lao for being an outstanding point of contact, and also my good friend Florent Colombet for his part in the process too!

My major concern in the whole purchase deal was with the kit getting damaged before it got to me...stories of boxes being delivered by uncaring carriers that arrive with forklift tyne holes through the box, and model, are rife. Fei-Bao use DHL as shipping agents and, as you would expect, I received notification from Alex that the Box had left China at 1445 local on Tuesday...I tracked it through DHLs on-line service and it showed up on the doorstep at 1030 local the following Friday. 3 days and not a mark on the box...not even a boot print! Well impressed (and relieved!).
Attachments
Model x 2.jpg
Nice looking models!
Model x 2.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 15842 times
Rear 3 4 view.jpg
Stunning!
Rear 3 4 view.jpg (158.17 KiB) Viewed 15842 times
15703.jpg
The original Tiger-Eye' was a single-seat Mirage - no-one'll notice!
15703.jpg (137.36 KiB) Viewed 15842 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Re: Fei-Bao Mirage 2000

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Sun May 24, 2009 8:40 am

This picture shows how each item was indivually bubble-wrap packed and secured in the box (the wings are in separate cardboard protective boxes at the bottom of the box)...what isn't seen here is the load of white foam packing noodles and sheet of (quite good grade!) 3/32 ply that was put on top of everything as additional protection. Well impressed with the packing. (BTW, if you double click on the picture it'll show as a complete picture.)
Attachments
Packaging.jpg
Everything was really well packed and secured.
Packaging.jpg (877.5 KiB) Viewed 15836 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Tue May 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Finally managed to get some free time to have a detailed look at the kit and go through all the parts.

I've posted a few pictures with comments in below, and more will folow as I get into assembling the kit but, overall, it's obvious that Fei-Bao have considerably upped their game from the original Velox days (I assembled one of them a couple of years back...see the thread for more details!).

There aren't that many big bits...two wings with elevons fitted, a fin/rudder, canopy and frame, and front and rear fuselage pieces, and that's your lot. There are loads of other bits though...fuel tanks (three off), twin-skinned jet pipe, engine 'pod', intermediate air intake ducting, tail cone, refuelling probe, loads of plastic fairings, three small pots of touch-up paint, a couple of bags of accessories (including servo mounts, glass board horns and 3mm control rods), etc.

I bought my kit with the doors and airbrakes and their respective air rams ready fitted and, of course, the undercarriage system comes as a separately packed unit that comprises the legs, wheels/tyres/brakes, retract units, air tubing, fittings and three-off air selector valves. I also bought the detailed cockpit tubs, which came ready trimmed to fit.

The finish of all parts is good to excellent; there is a lot of detail moulded into the parts and if the assembler wished to do so, could make the model look even better by cutting out the various air vents and grills on the fuselage, adding a load of decals and a bit of dirtying up here and there. It is, however, a well finished and good basis to start from.

The canopy is one of the clearest I've seen and the fit of its frame is excellent - no big gaps. The Main fuselage hatch is also a good fit but stands slightly proud at its front edge - not too noticeable though...even Geoff White (who I used as a second set of critical eyes) didn't get that one!

The fit of the forward fuselage, wings and fin to the fuselage is good with, again, no appreciable gaps to detract from the look...and my ultra critical 'level' eye was pleased to see that the model's assembly was 'square' and symmetrical!

One area of concern with any pre-built model like this is the standard and integrity of the glued joints. I recall from assembling my Fei-Bao Velox that all the joints I could get to see (bar one) were well glued/secure...and so I had a bit of confidence in this area. Scrutiny of the Mirage's joints (the ones I could get to) were exactly the same. Bar one area at the top of a rear fuse former, all joints were very well glued, with generally very neat fillets around all formers. The adhesive used, I can only assume, is a Hysol type structural adhesive (formers) and Fei-Bao's mix of (blue tinted) epoxy for the other joints.

Strategic reinforcement is placed in high-load/minimal form strength areas and when looking at the wing structure, it's evident that Fei-Bao have laminated glass cloth onto the structure, to provide reinforcement there too.

The engine 'pod' is a standard type component that slips into the tubular intermediate intake ducting at the front, and the twin walled jet pipe fits over it at the rear.

Not much to say about the jet pipe other than it looks well made, is twin-walled and relatively light, weighing in at 400gm.

I was particularly impressed with the slop-free fit of the wing and fin spars into their respective clamp fittings...I had no trouble getting any of these parts to align and slide in.

Not much more I can say about the airframe than that at this point, apart from that I found no areas of concern structurally, everything seemed to be well made and detailed and it all fit together well.

I bought the optional 'stores and weapons' pack with my kit, which includes a huuuuuuuuge centre-mounted overload tank and its pylon, 4 other wing mounted pylons and associated missiles.

In no particular order, below is a selection of pictures with explanatory text showing some of the main points...
Attachments
Refuelling probe.jpg
Refuelling probe.jpg (179 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
Refuelling probe 2.jpg
Refuelling probe 2.jpg (661.01 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (272.66 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
Wing, fairings, etc.jpg
Wing, fairings, etc.jpg (222.64 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
Centre-line tank.jpg
Centre-line tank.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
9 - cockpit tubs.jpg
9 - cockpit tubs.jpg (389.65 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
Fin spar fitting (rear).jpg
Fin spar fitting (rear).jpg (473.29 KiB) Viewed 15834 times
8 - wing spar fitting.jpg
8 - wing spar fitting.jpg (288.34 KiB) Viewed 15834 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Tue May 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I forgot to mention that all the parts in the kit, plus the undercarriage, came to 11.6Kg. The undercarriage and associated system was 1.95 Kg.

If you're after some entertainment, have a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiVsDygaM4 ...good air display routine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZeA0LRWEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAMJgRhTNc&NR=1 ...stunning photography...and click on the prompt at the end to see another one just as good.

Nick Yuhasz

Postby Nick Yuhasz » Wed May 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Excellent build thread so far.

I just purchased one of these and I am waiting for it to arrive.

How is the rudder controlled? Is the servo hidden in the fuse? Can you fit a full size digital servo?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio
USA
Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio USA

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Nick Yuhasz wrote:Excellent build thread so far.

I just purchased one of these and I am waiting for it to arrive.

How is the rudder controlled? Is the servo hidden in the fuse? Can you fit a full size digital servo?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio
USA

Nick,

Pse see picture and info below.

Cheers,

Dick
Attachments
Rudder servo.jpg
Rudder servo.jpg (208.79 KiB) Viewed 15834 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Some undercarriage / retract unit shots...
Attachments
Retract Units.jpg
Retract Units.jpg (251.58 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
Main Gear Leg.jpg
Main Gear Leg.jpg (173.22 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
Main gear legs, etc.jpg
Main gear legs, etc.jpg (193.67 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
Main Leg & Wheel Assy.jpg
Main Leg & Wheel Assy.jpg (161.18 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
Main wheels.jpg
Main wheels.jpg (226.53 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
NLG.jpg
NLG.jpg (219.32 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
NLG steering package.jpg
NLG steering package.jpg (233.97 KiB) Viewed 15737 times

Nick Yuhasz

Postby Nick Yuhasz » Thu May 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Dick:

I saw one post on RCU that states the FB Mirage 2000 should have the retract mounts in wing reinforced due to the "effective brakes" that come with the ARF.

Your opinion based on what you can see?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio USA

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Fri May 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Nick Yuhasz wrote:Dick:

I saw one post on RCU that states the FB Mirage 2000 should have the retract mounts in wing reinforced due to the "effective brakes" that come with the ARF.

Your opinion based on what you can see?

Thanks

Nick

Nick,

I was concerned about this before I got the kit too...but as described below, the mounting plates are substantial items and are well tied/glued to the ribs and top skin via a plywood web. Couldn't get the camera in to get much detail but what I did get should give you an indication of things.

Rgds,

Dick
Attachments
Retract Mounting Plates.jpg
Retract Mounting Plates.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 15736 times
Retract mounting plate 2.jpg
Retract mounting plate 2.jpg (207.62 KiB) Viewed 15736 times
Retract mounting plate 3.jpg
Retract mounting plate 3.jpg (250.9 KiB) Viewed 15736 times

Nick Yuhasz

Postby Nick Yuhasz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Still waiting on my Mirage to arrive....

Has the Instruction Manual been updated compared to the one on the Fei Bao web site? The reason I ask is that it includes references to the "Velox" in the Section that is describing Control Throws and CG. Not very professional if they just cut and pasted from the Velox manual especially since the Mirage doesn't have flaps! I am concerned that the Control Throws and CG may not be correct....

Quote:

"34. Control Trows
These are good place to start. Feel free to ad more trow for more
aerobatic capability after the first flight.
Aileron:
1 1/8” up and down
Elevator:
2” up and down
Rudders:
1” right and left
Flaps:
35 mm down
1/8” UP ELEVATOR IS THE NEUTRAL POSITION
Some things to be aware of...
You may want an up-elevator mix with flap application, as the nose pitches down. You
may also want some additional up-elevator throw available with full flaps, as you may"

Nick
Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio USA

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Nick,

There is no instruction manual with the kit...the only one I've seen is the one on the Fei-Bao site, which isn't worth a great deal. There is a chap here in the UK who's got his Mirage flying and I've emailed him with a request to post here re control throws, etc.

I haven't touched my Mirage for a while (other things taking priority).

Rgds,

Dick

Nick Yuhasz

Postby Nick Yuhasz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the update, Dick. I would appreciate if you share the Control Throws and CG that works when you get it!

Nick
Nick Yuhasz
Amherst, Ohio USA

Keith Whiddett

Postby Keith Whiddett » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi the control throws on my Mirage are aileron 20mm up/down,elevator 35mm up/down mearsured at the root of the surfaces near fuse,set c/g at 390mm from front of the leading edge of wing,rudder 25mm each way.,this would be a good place to start then tune to your taste regards Keith

jbrown

Postby jbrown » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:49 am

Mirage Fans,

Has anyone given some thought to splitting the elevons? Either to use two servos per side (redundancy). Or possibly use the 'inner' elevon as flaps.
I've noticed on the full size plane the elevons appear to be split. But I have yet to see a picture with one deploying any 'flaps'?

Anyone else curious about this?

Best regards, Jim

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 am

jbrown wrote:Mirage Fans,

Has anyone given some thought to splitting the elevons? Either to use two servos per side (redundancy). Or possibly use the 'inner' elevon as flaps.
I've noticed on the full size plane the elevons appear to be split. But I have yet to see a picture with one deploying any 'flaps'?

Anyone else curious about this?

Best regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, the redundancy and other benefits of another servo either side does appeal. When I get back to assembling the model, I'll look into it further to see if it's practical to mod the wing. Deltas don't normally have flaps as the drag for landing can be induced with change in a o a.

Cheers,

Dick

Return to “Jet Build Threads”