Ultra Bandit Build

Starting a new build or conversion? Post your information, findings and pictures here.

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

Geoff White

Postby Geoff White » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:37 pm

Managed to spend a couple of hours working on the model while watching the England match and not trying to get depressed!

Tonights task was to fit the tailpipe to the bypass and the rear fus.

The tail pipe is slid over the rear of the bypass and is retained by the 4 steel straps hooking over 4 bolts that protrude from the bypass. Its easier to understand if you look at this photo.

The bolts are purely 1/2" 4-40 bolts s supplied in the kit.

At first I thought the the straps were meant to be retained by nuts aplied on the bolts but on second thoughts I think they are purely meant to slid over the bolts. If you look at these following photos you can see that after the rear former that was fitted it prevents the straps from sliding off the bolts.(]Mick if you read this am I right???)

The whole reason behind this is that the fuselage splits in half so the tail pipe needs to be able to be easily removed.

Regarding the tailpipe, it is a double walled stainless steel one. You can see the length of it in this photo.

Geoff White

Postby Geoff White » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 pm

While working on the tail pipe and bypass I found the following piece of metal.

It looks like its some sort of bracket but I have no idea what it is for? If anyone has any idea can you reply and let me know.

Mick Burrell

Postby Mick Burrell » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:47 am

Geoff, you are correct with the tailpipe retention. That silly piece of metal helps support the engine! I didn't use the BVM method because I could not get my engine to stop moving about. Mine’s stripped down at the moment I’ll send you some pics.

Geoff White

Postby Geoff White » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:19 am

Hi Mick,

As you know I own two super bandits and they both use the standard BVM strap retaining method. I occasionally have to reseat the turbines because it slips so I have to admit I am slightly concerned at hanging an olympus by the same method. I was going to try it and see if I think it is going to work.

But If you have an alternative method then I would be interested in seeing it.

Now you mention, its obvious that piece of metal is meant to go between the two straps to help support the turbine.

Geoff.

Mick Burrell

Postby Mick Burrell » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:50 am

sent u a pm

dean jackson

Re: Ultra Bandit Build

Postby dean jackson » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:26 pm

so what happened? did everyone live happily ever after ?

Jonathan Smith

Postby Jonathan Smith » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am

All is well with this plane, it was flown quite hard by David Schulman at Jet Power when first born( there is some good video on youtube ) and is residing in Holland with its owner. It is just in the middle of a major "check" come "upgrade". Two kevlar conformal smoke tanks are being fitted which will give three lts of smoke oil and a Powerbox competition/iGyro with 2 Futaba sbus receivers. The smoke tanks fit perfectly underneath the engine bypass and inlet ducting each having 1.5 lts capacity. The engine has been through the shop as well and had an upgrade to Kero start. All this should see it ready for action again very soon. The new wood work is being painted and once done I will upload some photos of the tanks and install.

Geoff White

Postby Geoff White » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am

'flown quite hard by David Shulman ' - You are the master of understatement!

It was flown b*****y hard by him. If ever there was any doubt about the strength of the UB, Shui banished them at JP.

Return to “Jet Build Threads”