Fei Bao Velox Assembly

Starting a new build or conversion? Post your information, findings and pictures here.

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Re: Velox

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Kevin Watson wrote:Many thanks Dick

What thrust does your turbine produce?

It says up to 160 on the blurb for the velox but that is overkill and I suspect 24 lbs is ample , maybe even less eg Wren SS

I will let you know how I get on and many thanks

I will respond

Keep me updated and happly landings

Kevin

Kevin,

On a good day it'll put out about 19lbs. The SS is supposed to be a good match for this airframe...and of course, gives better fuel efficiency than my Mercury, for the weight (so you wouldn't have the duration problem I have!). Can't see any logic in trying to use a 160!

Be nice to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

Dick

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Fuel system upgrade

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:57 am

Having considered several options to put more fuel on my Velox, I settled on the simplest course and added a suitable 1/2 litre 'drinks bottle' type tank along side the main tank.

Doing this meant that I had to re-position the UAT to free up some room - that wasn't a problem as I had plenty of space available 'under the cockpit' area, where I simply cut a hole in the existing tray and slotted the UAT in at a suitable angle.

The extra tank was 'mounted' in foam packing, thus giving it an even 'seat' and making it nice and secure without the need for mounts and straps - and I can get it out in seconds if needs be.

Plumbing followed the standard 'series' pattern - I took the feed from the main tank to the 'vent' pipe on the new tank, put a heavy clunk in the new tank feed line and connected it to the UAT.

The extra fuel should give me an extra 2-3 minutes duration, which will take flight times towards the usual 7-8 minute area. I haven't yet flown it but don't foresee any problems - I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dick

Kevin Watson

Velox

Postby Kevin Watson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Dick - sounds like a good idea - let me know how it goes. Not had chance to do anything with mine yet. Too many other projects on the go at the moment - but I will get there!

I have just acquired a Jim Fox Foxjet so that is taking priority at the moment - I believe you used to have the plug for these.
She really is a big bird!

Thanks

kevin
In thrust we trust!
Regards Kevin.

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Took an afternoon off yesterday and went flying with Geoff at Wroughton. I put another 3 flights on the Velox and checked out the modded fuel system - works OK and I now have 6 minutes safe plus enough fuel for a couple of overshoots...that's with much of the flight at high throttle settings for plenty of vertical stuff!

Am well happy with this aeroplane now - it performs nice, large aerobatics and it isn't that difficult to make them accurate. It slow rolls particularly well and with the CG setting at 5 mm behind the C/L of the wing anti-rotation pin, it needs hardly any forward stick when inverted.

Taking the length out of the noseleg and stiffening its spring up definitely helped stop the model bouncing on landing and the reduced flap setting I mentioned earlier is perfect for slowing it down without the need to keep bags of power on and using too much elevator travel compensating for the flap.

All in all, I think I've got it to a state I like and am enjoying flying it.

The picture shows Geoff White with my Velox at a cold but sunny Wroughton, late in the afternoon.

Cheers,

Dick

R Spreadbury
Site Admin

Stalling & Spinning, etc

Postby R Spreadbury » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:54 pm

I put another four flights on my Velox at Wroughton yesterday afternoon and explored the stall and spin characteristics a bit more.

I have the CG set 5mm behind the centre of the wing anti-rotation pin and the stall (erect) is as I described earlier...model slows right down until the tailplane gets blanked off and then it pitches sharply up to the vertical, then as quickly down to the vertical (let go of the elevator at this point) and it starts flying again after a short while. The stall inverted is a bit different because the tailplane stays in the airflow and pitch control is maintained right until the wings stall, when it pitches up slightly(skywards, and nowhere near as sharply as when the model's erect), before falling off vertically down and flying again. No problem dealing with either stall but lots of altitude needed for recovery.

As far as spinning went, I couldn't get it into a developed spin, either erect or inverted. Erect: The model slowed to the stall and I put in full control to induce a spin (both left and right tried). The model did a half rotation as if it were going to spin but it then flattened out and reversed the roll until just after wings level at which point it just mushed with virtually no forward speed but descending, the nose almost level, and no control response to aileron at all...but soon as I let the elevator go, it pitched down and started flying again.

Inverted, strangely enough, pretty much the same thing happened...it would not develop into a spin and just mushed down pretty flat, until I let the elevator go and it pitched nose down and started flying again.

I tried spinning it three or four times both ways with the same result...every time into wind (about a 10 kt wind at ground level) and with the engine at idle. Maybe if I'd applied power it might have made a difference - I'll give that a go next time out!

Because Geoff White was successfully tailsliding and stall turning his Flash (swish bu**er!) I tried that too...not much luck with either I'm afraid! Soon as the model started coming back vertically in the tailslide, it flipped tail up/nose down in what seemed like a half fuselage length...but I did get it to stall-turn 'sort-of' - but nowhere near as crisp as Geoff's Flash...maybe with a bit more practise! (Before anyone replies to this, yes, I know we can't stall turn jets in the normal sense...just trying to cheat it into doing one!)

Anyway, it was fun learning a bit more about the characteristics of the model which, contrary to some people's experiences, I'm finding nice to fly.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:46 am

It's been a long time since the last posting and I've flown the Velox a fair bit more since then (notched its 50th flight last weekend...which ain't many of flights for lots of you, I know, but I don't get out to play too regularly these days!). Anyway, I think it's enough to come up with a good opinion on the general characteristics and value for money of the Velox kit, which is what I said I'd do a long time back.

The kit assembly, along with the good and the bad bits, were comprehensively covered at the start of this thread so the only thing I can really comment upon now is the general level of reliability and serviceability of the airframe and systems.

Not much to say, I'm afraid...apart from one of the aluminium wing securing tongues coming a bit loose (which didn't pose a flight safety hazard at all...if it'd come completely loose the friction of the wing joining tube and anti-roll pin would have kept the wing on!) and the steering tubes needing supporting (mentioned in an earlier post), it has been remarkably reliable.

Because I didn't have my Jetronics brake valve set well enough, I flat-spotted the tyres pretty well (the Fei-Bao brakes are superb in operation), but I got a pair of new tyres from Sandor at Digitech which cured that...nice to know you can get spares like that for a 'Chinese' ARTF from a local supplier. I also got a pair of new and heavier duty springs for the Jet 1-A legs from Sandor as I found the originals a bit soft...for my landings anyway!

So, all in all, no big problems with the airframe and systems and I'm well happy with that!

As regards transporting the model, this is so easy - the wings come off and you're left with the fuselage, booms and tailplane standing on the undercarriage which needs no cradle or anything...just wheel it into the back of the car and that's that. Assembly time is about 3-4 minutes if you take it easy!

Coming on to the flying bit; I've heard of several modellers who've damaged their Velox due to getting it into a deep stall either on take-off or landing (that wasn't neccessarily their explanation for it but I think that's probably what happened having experimented with mine).

As I've explained earlier, it is possible, like it is with some other models (and full-size aeroplanes), to get the Velox into a situation whereby the airflow separates from the fuselage and effectively blanks the tailplane...and hence, pitch control is lost. Mick Reeves' Javelins suffer from talplane blanking in certain situations, as did the early Skymaster Hawks...although the latter was caused by flap aerodynamics rather than fuselage separation. The trick to surviving this is simple - you have to find out where the boundaries are and do your best to stay inside them!

The Velox, when it stalls, pitches violently nose up (past the vertical) and then comes nose-down until it's flying again...so you can't stall it on when landing, for example, it has to be flown on. That doesn't mean to say it can't land slowly as it does - especially when there's a bit of headwind. You just have to be careful not to eek out the touchdown point on elevetor alone...or it'll bite you!

I have learned to use this weird stalling characteristic to provide amusement during flight...if you slow the model down (with a bit of height on!) and 'snatch' the elevator in, the Velox performs the best looking Cobra outside of Russia!

The remainder of the flight characteristics are pretty standard - it's fairly fast, aerobats well, looks the part and does what it says on the box really - it's a good sport model!

To value for money then. Well, given that the model came out of the box pretty well complete with not a great deal of work needed doing and a nice paint scheme on it to boot, plus the fact that it flies well and has remained reliable so far, I have to say I think it was money well spent.

I'd certainly recommend it as a cheap, reliable, functional and practical sport model.

Cheers,

Dick
Attachments
End of a good day at Wroughton!.jpg
End of a good day at Wroughton!.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 17397 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Re: Fei Bao Velox Assembly

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Still going strong! Only mod made since last posting is conversion to 2.4 gHz (still using MX-22 but with RASST module and 14ch Rx).

I had a problem with the engine (Mercury) in that the starter gas burner ring became blocked...but Jason Fletcher (AKA Magic Mercury Fixer) came to the rescue - he stripped, serviced and re-assembled the engine, which has run perfectly since!

For no apparent reason, one of the 3301 rudder servos stoped working after just over 100 flights and the model's gone through 2 sets of main gear tyres (am heavy on the brakes!) in 140 odd flights. No problem with spares - Fei-Bao have stock. Picture shows the old and the new!

Cheers,

Dick
Attachments
Tyres.jpg
Tyres.jpg (148.02 KiB) Viewed 16960 times

steve pryor

Postby steve pryor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 am

Just completed my Velox G2,the quality is superb and everything fits together very well.Jet Munts VT80,Electron re-retracts,pro-links struts/wheels/brakes.CG is bang on the centre of the front anti-rotation pins,gear re-retracted.Now just need someone to test fly for me!
Attachments
DSCF3146.JPG
DSCF3146.JPG (100.03 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
DSCF3145.JPG
DSCF3145.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
DSCF3144.JPG
DSCF3144.JPG (103.12 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
DSCF3143.JPG
DSCF3143.JPG (107.15 KiB) Viewed 15438 times
DSCF3148.JPG
DSCF3148.JPG (107.04 KiB) Viewed 15438 times

Dick Spreadbury
Site Admin

Postby Dick Spreadbury » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:40 am

Smart job Steve...looking good.

Good luck with the test flights - let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Dick

steve pryor

Postby steve pryor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks Dick,i`ll probably bring along to a JMA event for some help with the maiden!

Return to “Jet Build Threads”