For DW

For items about gas turbine, IC and Electric powered jets, engines and systems

Moderators: jamie cuff, Dick Spreadbury

Scott Douglas

For DW

Postby Scott Douglas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Not sure where else to post this..

For Dave, my deepest sympathies on the passing of your dad.

I was one of the "lucky" ones that Mick helped. Many years ago I sent him an ST90 that I "introduced" to a hillside strapped to the front of a Goldberg Ultimate. The engine was pretty beat up when I sent it... what I got back was one of the best running motors I've owned FOC.. together with a letter telling me what kind of human I was for using the wrong plug & probably running the wrong fuel ( I think I still have it somewhere.. its a classic!)

A great guy, he will be missed.

Scott

Dave Wilshere

Re: For DW

Postby Dave Wilshere » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Scott

I'm sure there are a raft of those letters around, people tend to keep them!
His heart was certainly in the right place, you just had to get through the initial dressing down to get to the real Mick.
He was from an era where this hobby boomed and certainly was special.

Thanks

Dave

tony hooper

Postby tony hooper » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:21 am

Dave
Very sorry to hear about your Dad - dealt with him quite a lot in the old days. On one occasion I ordered 2 Super Tigre engines from him and he delivered them to me personally in his motor glider when I was an Instructor at Wellesbourne Mountford. On the way he faced a big headwind and because the journey was longer than he anticipated he got "caught short" in the cockpit. We both had a laugh when he climbed out with soaking wet trousers! A side of him that a lot of people did not see
Now that was "old fashioned " service.!!

Dave Wilshere

Postby Dave Wilshere » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

He was always looking for an excuse to fly somewhere, he did a few deliveries in the Tomahawk we had, I said I could drive there quicker and he would make excuses. The motor Falke was very slow, but he enjoyed flying it...even when it shed a prop over Aylesbury!

He was not much use at peeing in a bottle, though a story he told was of a delivery flight he did with Tom Lampitt from the US to England in a Strike Commander where the cockpit heating failed and through the North around Iceland the plastic bottle he was using froze!!

jeff sewell

Postby jeff sewell » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:54 pm

Sorry to hear about you dad - met him just a few times but definitely one of a kind :)

Jeff

Return to “Jets”