Pilot rc dolphin flap setup question?

For items about gas turbine, IC and Electric powered jets, engines and systems

Moderators: jamie cuff, Dick Spreadbury

Haden Kingsland

Pilot rc dolphin flap setup question?

Postby Haden Kingsland » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi all...

I have just finished building my dolphin and need advice on final throws...as manual seems different to what I would have thought.

They say to mix varying degrees of up elevator in with the flaps, depending on flap use... Where I would have thought it should be down elevator???? as deploying flaps gives more lift?

Any help would be appreciated.

LMFC member
Electron Retracts
Xcalibur and PRC Dolphin
PRC YAK 54, Inverza 33 and more

Simon Burch

Re: Pilot rc dolphin flap setup question?

Postby Simon Burch » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm in the same boat, just need to check cg and then set throws. I've asked a couple of people but not had any figures back.

David Warrington

Postby David Warrington » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:02 pm

You will definitely find that it pitches down with flaps deployed....it felt wrong when I set mine up...but it was true!

Manual settings were pretty close TBH :shock:

Mine was the first version with NO modifications and set up as per the manual....Things may be different now :?:

Cheers, Dave.

Harry Curzon

Postby Harry Curzon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 am

Lowering the flaps will always make the wing pitch nose down because increasing camber causes nose down pitching so if there is no other effect then the rest of the plane will pitch nose down with the wing. Tail-less aircraft rely on this for their elevator control. But other effects may reduce, balance or even overcome it. For example lowering the flaps increases the angle of the downwash and if the tailplane is effected by the downwash it will have a nose up effect. Whether the plane pitches up or down depends on the sum of many competing forces and that depends on the design of the plane and the airspeed at the time.

Return to “Jets”