EDF CARF Hawk

For items about gas turbine, IC and Electric powered jets, engines and systems

Moderators: jamie cuff, Dick Spreadbury

Dave Wilshere

EDF CARF Hawk

Postby Dave Wilshere » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Being working on this for a customer on and off over the last 2 years. Finally had three flights with it today, still building time and knowledge on the set up, it takes off and lands with the same 8.6lb of Li-Po batteries on board.

https://youtu.be/2hxKdwCMC2g

Ian George

Re: EDF CARF Hawk

Postby Ian George » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks really good Dave, I assume the all up weight is lower than the tutbine version (without fuel) as it seemed to go off quite early?

Dave Wilshere

Postby Dave Wilshere » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:57 pm

No its similar, 33lb take off weight...landing too. My Turbine one will rotate at 40m...it just looks wrong. That take off was around 70m. The flight before this one with old packs used all the patch, so I used a different approach, you can see I held up in all the way through the run so it would rotate when it was ready. Once the nose came up I feathered the elevator and it floated off. Next flight was almost exactly the same.

Ian George

Postby Ian George » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Dave,

It's good to see the technology now to carry this size model and now I guess eventually get the cost of electric goods down :-)

Dave Wilshere

Postby Dave Wilshere » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Don't see it ever getting cheap. Too limited market, hand made fans and motors, limited use packs. Even with the advantage of it not being a jet turbine I can't see it being popular.

Dave

Return to “Jets”