VC10

The place to post items on full-size jet related matters

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

David Gladwin

VC10

Postby David Gladwin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

Probably a bit late but the very last VC10 flight takes place today. It is due to land at Bruntingthorpe, near Leicester, at 1230.
What an amazing achievement, a British aircraft with British engines and in operation with BOAC and BA as well as the RAF not a single aircraft lost. ( other than the one destroyed at Dawson's Field after the hijacking )

The second most beautiful airliner ever built and an absolute pleasure to fly.

David Gladwin

Geoff Gosbee

Re: VC10

Postby Geoff Gosbee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:45 pm

David,
I share your enthusiasm for for the ten! Also the best aircraft to be a passenger in, except for the other one!
I believe an African owned aircraft was lost at Nairobi (or Entebbe) when it was pulled off to avoid a vehicle or other aircraft on the runway, with disasterous consequences. There were also several engine/turbine failures at BOAC/BA.
Not quite so good to work on though - I still have the scars from doing ultrasonic checks on the LP2 turbine blades with a still hot engine and crawling up the sooty jetpipe. The modern equivalent of sending the lads up victorian chimneys!
Built like a battleship and not down to a price - they don't make 'em like that any more.

Regards,

Geoff Gosbee

David Gladwin

Re: VC10

Postby David Gladwin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Geoff, Glad to hear you share my affection for the VC10, Britain's finest. Was actually showing my grandson G-ARVM (first VC10 I ever flew on BOAC crew training) at Brooklands, yesterday, sadly in a sorry state . (the airframe not me)

The African VC10 lost was an East African Airways Super at Addis Ababba, it went off the end of the runway and was badly damaged after both nosewheel tyres burst at V1, after hitting a piece of metal on the runway. Many deaths but not the aircraft's fault. Similarly a standard of Ghana Airways, crashed on approach, CFIT, again not the fault of the aircraft.

BA actually lost two, both deliberately destroyed after hijackings, Dawsons Field and Amsterdam, latter set on fire.

The Conways were good but not perfect. I was one to experience a failure of the LP turbine disc climbing out of Heathrow for Nairobi in G-ASGJ, Vibration and JPT went off the scale but no fire warning. Shut it down, dumped about 40 tons of fuel , back to LHR !

Can't imagine climbing up the jet pipe to examine a hot engine, but thats why we called them Sooties !

But, its all over now, last one landed at Bruntingthorpe and Cosford MAY get one but its going by ROAD !! I doubt there will ever be a more elegant airliner.

Regards,

David.

Return to “1:1 Scale Jets!”