Dawlish Airday

The place to post items on full-size jet related matters

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

Laurie Hughes

Dawlish Airday

Postby Laurie Hughes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 am

Just got back from two cracking days at Dawlish, after being invited down by one of the organisers earlier this year, weather wednesday was rather grim driving down, thinking not another washed out event for me, not had much luck this year, anyway reason for going down day early was to photograph Flt Lt Charlie Matthews doing a practice display in the Typhoon followed by some heads ons straight at the small gathering of us up on the hill (great display in totally lousy conditions), never did get that head on shot i was after, plus Wednesday night was a night not to be missed in the local pub with all the flight crews, don't remember much about that night :embarassed: though managed to fall over in the hotel breakfast room following morning still rather worse for wear ooops :D.

Anyway Dawlish Airshow what a cracking event totally free, crowd centre line is the train station in the centre of town with all the crowds on the beaches and hills surrounding the town. The shot i actually was hoping to get was the single Red Arrrow head on air brake out with lots of smoke, was well pleased with that one, some of the best pics i've got todate of the Red Arrows so was rather annoying only eight flying (bird strike i believe), still cracking time had and on the calander for next year.

All pictures taken with Nikon D80 with Nikon 70/300mm vr lens on helis and Sigma 300mm F2.8 with 1*4 converter on jets all at ISO 200 on show day

Sorry about the amount of pictures

Wednesdays practice day

Show day

OK a few up close and personal :co

Was also very fortunate on the trip to come upon a Rare lesser spotted gray Tyhpoon found nesting in the tree tops, we approached very quietly but he was too quick for us and flew off to the safer sanctuary of the cliffs below

lozza

Return to “1:1 Scale Jets!”