Just Joined

Welcome to the forum - please introduce yourself and enjoy your stay!

Moderator: Dick Spreadbury

ken catt

Just Joined

Postby ken catt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:53 am

Hello All
New to jet's, old to RC modeling........... I am looking to purchase my first turbine and trainer, I have just placed an order with Wren for a 75, but now see they have re launched the Super Sport. Which is the best????? help please.
Also best trainer the Boomerang or the Falcom 120 type?????????

look forward to next spring hopefully with my new Ket model.

regards
Ken catt

Ian Worsdell

Re: Just Joined

Postby Ian Worsdell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 am

Ken

Both engines are good units and will be suitable for the Boomerang/Falcon models which you mention. However, as the Supersport has a bit more oomph for the same physical size, it may give you a little more scope for future models.
As for a 1st jet, I would go with the Boomerang, as it has been designed for turbine use (Falcon is intended for IC use, although many have been successfully flown with turbines) and it's also a much more steady platform for getting use to the throttle lag associated with turbines. It would also cope much better with your strip at Lydden......I once flew mine there!!

Regards

Ian

PS If you ever want to pop down to our club at Lydd to see some jets flying, feel free to come down with Cliff sometime.

ken catt

Postby ken catt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Hello Ian

Thank you for the reply, I very much appreciate the advice.

I have been speaking to Paul at Wren’s, he has convinced me to go for a Wren 100 Kero start, for the same reasons as you gave, future models. As Paul said I can turn it down to the output I want for my trainer, and re-program it for future models..........
I flew over your site on Saturday. What a smashing field you have......... I have applied for membership via Mr Vague.
I also fly reasonably sized models 30% CAP with Zenoah 62 ect.......Perhaps both you and Clif will help me with my first Jet.

Do you know of a Boomerang Sprint or Elan for sale?
Kind regards
ken

Duncan Horlor

Postby Duncan Horlor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Ken

Welcome to a great side of the hobby. As regards to turbines have you looked at the Merlin 100? Utterly reliable, fantastic turbine and I'm sure it's cheaper than the Wren. I've just sold my Supersport after using a Merlin in its place this year. I was that impressed that I've ordered a second Merlin already (a Vt80 this time). Give Al's Hobbies jet Centre a call, I'm sure you could find a use for the money you would save over the wren

Cheers

Duncan

Return to “Welcome”